Thursday, May 28, 2009

Delft blue

"Delft" was made as a present for someone who loves blue and white china. I didn't have the exact shade of blue stranded cotton I wanted, and when I went to buy some, it was actually called 'Delft Blue'.


As this Bauble was to be displayed on a shelf, I made a little velvet 'donut' for it to sit on.

This time I laid the design out differently, working a line of embroidery that followed the seams from one intersection to the next - a peak, a vally, a peak, a valley - 3 times in all, dividing the ball in half. Can you see what I mean?


Then, starting in the centre of the top section, I worked a floral design, like the centre of a china plate.


The bottom section has formal trees, radiating from the centre bottom, where I also signed the piece.


It took about a week (on & off) to complete the embroidery, and I'm well pleased with it. So, I think, is the giftee.

1 comment: