Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Aquamarine

So of course I made another one. Beginning with a plain blue ball, I applied scraps of fabric, using various textures and shades of blue/aqua.

Then I embroidered some scrolly, leafy patterns in light greens, and added some sequins for a bit of bling.


There's actually an underlying design this time. I was beginning to discover some of the possibilities of layout on a spherical shape - a very different proposition from designing for a flat, two-dimensional surface.The first thing I discovered was how to create a "tennis ball" line, very useful for planning embellishments.
Here's how I did it.
I'd used a simple 8 piece pattern for the ball (more on pattern possibilities in a future post).

This gives you 6 intersections - the points where 4 segments meet.
It might help to describe them like points on an Earth globe. Point #1 is the North pole, #2 the South Pole; 3,4,5 &6 are evenly distributed around the Equator.
If you imagine a circle drawn around the points 1,2,3 & 4, and then draw a curved line connecting these, voila! You have a continuous line like the one on a tennis ball.


3 comments:

  1. that design explanation makes perfect sense, Marcie ... and of course I adore the colour palette that you've used on this one.
    I think you may just have found your metier, m'dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcie, your baubles are BEAUTIFUL! What fun! I look forward to seeing more of them - such eye-candy.
    How big are they? How heavy? Could they hang on a Christmas tree? It will be great to see what applications you find for them.

    Best wishes,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tracy. The current babubles are 12" in circumference - so about 4" across, the first ones were a little smaller. They weigh 100g, about 4 oz, so you could hang them on atree.

    ReplyDelete