Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What I'm doing

Not blogging very much, obviously. Sometimes Life gets in the way of Art, doesn't it? Bauble-making continues, slowly, but for the last few days I've been working on this-
I finally got sick of searching through several containers like this, looking for the exact shade I needed, so I decided to fix the problem once and for all.
First, I cut a heap of cardboard 'spools' - size is 2 1/2" x 1 3/8", if you're interested. Then I began the big job of winding all those skeins of stranded cotton onto the spools. Each one is labelled (if a label still exists). I have so much of this cotton, most of it bought in tangled boxes at garage sales or markets. Some of the skeins are quite old, I've come across several labelled as 'wartime' - that would be WW2, early 1940's. A few appear to be even older, with brand names I've never heard of. Most were made by Semco, the most popular brand in Australia for many years, but no longer available.
Many skeins are unused, and fairly fast to wind onto the cards, but some are tangled and take ages to sort out. There's quite a lot of duplication - there seem to be an awful lot of greens!
Mercifully I haven't found any moth damage so far. I'm going to keep them in these boxes, just plastic storers from GoLo, (I made the insert from card).
I estimate this box holds about half the greens. I originally bought 10 boxes, but clearly I'll need more.

No comments:

Post a Comment