Monday, August 10, 2009

Aerial view


Another Bauble inspired by Aboriginal depictions of the land. I imagined a river flowing across the country, bordered by greenery, fading gradually to desert sands and rich brown hills.


Worked with stranded cotton, using chain stitch throughout.


I think I achieved what I set out to do with this, but it took a long time to cover the ground!
And while as a decorative piece it succeeds, but as Art? No, I don't think so.
It reminds me of an earlier Bauble which I needlefelted with variegated wool - decorative, but lacking in a focal point, and not interesting enough to hold the viewer's interest for more than a minute or so.

1 comment:

  1. You may not think so but, you see, for me it succeeds as art because it functions like a meditation labyrinth. The lack of a symmetrical pattern and definite focal point pull in the viewers' attention and allow him to meander along the colored paths and discover the undulating designs. I think it's a successful piece.

    ReplyDelete