Thursday, August 20, 2009

Stuffing around

It would be nice if all I did was make lovely Baubles, photograph them, and post them on my blog. It's a simple process, after all - stitch the pieces together, leaving an opening for stuffing; turn right side out, stuff firmly, stitch up the opening; decide on a design, and stitch away happily. Then admire perfect creation, and repeat the process.
Ya think so? Then where did these come from?
There's so much that can go wrong, even at the stuffing stage. Overstuffed balls will stretch and become misshapen. Some balls just WANT to be lumpy. With the synthetic fibre-fill I've been using, closing the opening is a real challenge, as the fibre is springy and tries to escape, the opening gapes, you haul on the thread, which either breaks or cuts the fabric. The final seam is ugly.
I tried using a woollen stuffing, with little improvement. Jinny Beyer recommends cotton stuffing, but she's in America, where would an Aussie find such a thing?
At the local Futon Factory, that's where. Yes, the lovely Belinda was happy to supply a sample of cotton, which proved much easier to use. Cotton is kinda inert, lacking the rebellious spring of fibre-fill, content to stay where it's put, allowing for a nice tidy closure. And it's a natural fibre, which I like.
OK, now I have a nice round ball, all I have to do is embellish it. There are lots of possibilities. Let's see, I could... or maybe... no, that won't work. What about... or - no, I don't think so...
This process can take a while. Hours, days even.
Finally a decision is made, and work begins, with lots of happy anticipation. This will be the best yet!!!
Sometimes, everything falls into place, and I stitch away happily, watching my creation unfold in my hands. But not always. Oh no.
Perhaps, after a day or two, it doesn't look at all like what I envisaged - the colours/shapes/layout are all wrong. Should I press on, hoping it will improve with more stitching, unpick it, bin it?
Or maybe it's going according to plan, but it lacks - something... yaaawn... I'm bored.
Which is why I have a boxful of couldabeens...
Birthing a Bauble can be painful.

5 comments:

  1. Tanya sent me! I have really enjoyed seeing your wonderful Baubles! I made crochet balls for babies, using bright colours. I love your beautiful work, & am so glad I visited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found you through Tanya's blog; but I have to say...your couldabeens are beautiful in the picture and I can see nothing wrong with them. But you could always open the ball, unstuff it and then carefully open as much of as many semans as possible for it to go flat and then stith them down on a foundation and end up with a couldbeen blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean open as many seams as possible...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcie...I think these are marvelous. I love the sea urchin one. Do you sell these? Can you email me at daumick@hvc.rr.com? I'd like to ask you something...in regards to a possible trade...if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see a lot of things in that couldabeen box that seem quite lovely. I believe we are unfortunately harder on ourselves than any of our critics. I also keep thinking about a bauble-covered Christmas tree - could these castoff baubles be the basis for Christmas ornaments?

    ReplyDelete