Monday, August 17, 2009

Sweet and Crazy

I bore easily. After the monotony of the all that chain stitching in Aerial View, and Sea Urchin wasn't much better, I needed a bit of variety. So I returned to a secret vice of mine, not indulged for a while - crazy patchwork.
My usual taste in crazy work is of the gypsy variety, lots of rich colours, but for this experiment I chose a safer palette of pink, green and cream.
Each of the eight segments was foundation pieced before assembling and stuffing the ball, then I embroidered it. Despite looking 'crazy', the fabric placement had to be carefully planned. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to achieve this. I made up a diagram using isometric graph paper, as each segment of the ball is basically an equilateral triangle with slightly curved sides. Even so, I made a couple of boo-boos, but I don't think you can tell.
The embroidery was great fun, and not at all boring. It turned out better that I'd hoped, and there will definitely be more of these!
Incidentally, for the very best of crazy patchwork, have a look at Robyne Melia's work - this is her old blog, worth exploring for some marvellous pictures.

5 comments:

  1. I found you from Tanya's blog in Japan. What extraordinary work. I've been so fascinated by these "baubles" for years. The sea urchin is so lovely. A real joy to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to your blog as I am acquainted with Tanya...such beautiful, delicate things you do..they are just lovely, Pat in IN, USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, hopped over from Tanya's blog. Wow, I love the baubles. I've never heard of them before. What a beautiful art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinks and green always look lovely - I like this one too even though I'm not a crazy quilter....I imagine all these Baubles sitting in a big bowl somewhere.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely, soft, happy bauble. Looks like it should be in a baby girl's bedroom. The fabric placement problem in anything scrappy is tough. You have to make it look like everything just fell into place, while keeping similar pieces far enough apart. Controlled randomness! And meanwhile, if you're doing a large quilt, all the similar blocks seem to be magnetially drawn together despite your best intentions.

    ReplyDelete